Thursday, June 12, 2008
Scary Weather
Last night the Midwest experienced one of the most destructive storms in decades. It seemed like one minutes the weather radar was clear, and the next a line of severe storms stretched from northern Iowa, through eastern Nebraska and into Kansas. Tragedy struck early in Iowa, hitting a boy scout camp which was holding a week long adventure camp for over a hundred teenagers, taking the lives of 4 young men. Very, very sad!
Around 7:15pm the storms rolled into Lincoln. Here is a picture of the skies turning dark. It was so eerie. Then at 7:20pm the weatherman on a local news station announced Lincoln was in a Tornado Warning, setting the warning sirens into full blare.
I decided to take a picture of the TV showing the weather map and warning. You can see Lincoln on the map in the middle of the picture.
At 7:30, Justin yelled out from the balcony that he saw rotation....yes, we were out watching the storm, but were ready to run to shelter if necessary. I quickly grabbed the camera and took a picture. It's hard to see, but the ring of darker clouds and the light spot right in the middle was where there was rotation. Soon after this picture the Lincoln weatherman said that a trained spotter was watching the same rotation in central Lincoln.
For over one and half hours the tornado whistles constantly blew, or so it seemed. When all was said and done, Lincoln had escaped major destruction. But many are now dealing with the torrential downfalls of rain, bring 7-8 inches of the wet stuff in a matter of a few hours. Flash flooding is threatening many communities in Nebraska and Iowa. For more information, check out wowt.com

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
We were watching the news last night, and saw how bad you guys got hit. Glad there was no serious damage. Those crazy midwest storms!
Oh my gosh, how scary! (I'll bet Justin was loving the storm-watching, though.) I think I may have said this before, but it's amazing how powerfully destructive mother nature can be but at the same time maintain her awesome beauty. (I was heartbroken when I heard about the boy scout camp on the news the next morning....that's terrible.)
Post a Comment