The Objective:
Log a 13.1 mile run on your Nike+ device on either Jan 14th or 15th to benefit the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Then upload the run to Nikerunning.com.
The Reward:
Beside the obvious feeling of accomplishment of running 13.1 miles, a cool bracelet designed by Hurley.
The Run:
After getting a good nights sleep, I started my Half Marathon prep around 10 this morning. Picked out an outfit that would be comfortable, found an extra pair of socks just in case, and laced up my running shoes. I gathered up some healthy snacks and drink options that would help me accomplish my goal and headed downstairs to our treadmill.
I warmed up by walking the first 1/2 mile, then slowly began running at a comfortable pace. Before I knew it, I was 6 miles in and feeling good. Then the thing I was afraid of most happened at 6.33 miles. My program decided it was done and announced "Run Complete." AHHH. This has happened before, but I just prayed that it wouldn't happen today. I was devastated and too tired tired to even cry. Luckily, Justin had just come downstairs and gave me a pep talk saying, "Just restart another run and finish what you have started. Who cares if you don't get the bracelet. You will know that you did it and that's all that matters.
So after rehydrating and eating a couple orange slices, I climbed back on the treadmill and started up a new run. I set out to do 7 more miles, making sure I was well over the 13.1 miles needed for Nike in the event they would still award me with the finishers bracelet. I started hitting the wall around the 9.5 mile mark. I slowed to walk for a little bit and with some encouragement from Justin and little Leela, I found my second ( or maybe 3rd) wind and knew I was going to finish.
I DID IT! I ended up running a total of 13.45 miles!
I figured out that I crossed the virtual finish line somewhere around 2 hrs and 24 minutes. I am very happy with this. I had originally set a goal to finish in under 3 hours, since I didn't know how my body was going to take such a great distance with very little training in the last 3 weeks with being in California for Christmas and then being sick for some time after we got back. But I crushed that time. I am running another half marathon in June, so I hope to better my time.
Thanks to all of those people who reached out to support me on Facebook or through texts. A special thanks to my treadmill for working without an gliches, to TBS for playing "Run Away Bride" and "Miss Congeniality," and of course to my wonderful Hubby.
I can now cross Run A Half Marathon off my bucket list. :)








No comments:
Post a Comment