{Yay! Finally a post! he he he}
Last month, Justin's younger brother, Trevor, got married in Saint George, UT. We decided that we were going to drive out to the wedding so that we could bring our pups along with us as we hate the idea of boarding them. We also planned to spend a few days in the Moab area on the way back to Nebraska
to do some site seeing.
to do some site seeing.
{Just in case you are wondering what southern Utah feels like in August, turn your oven on to broil and then put your head in. (ok, seriously don't do that) But that is exactly what it feels like. At least in Nebraska when it's above 100 there is always a little breeze.}
But anyway....on to some pictures......
.....lots and lots of pictures.
On day ONE, we decided to make it as far as Silverthorne, CO. Having honeymooned not far from this area {Breckenridge, CO} we were excited to spend some time up in the mountains again. I was hoping to get some retail therapy in at the outlet shops, but they were all closed by the time we got there. After we checked in to our hotel, we found a super cute lake to take the pups for a walk around. At this point I was wishing I would have packed a sweatshirt. Who would have thought I would have needed long sleeved shirt on our trip to St George, UT in August? :)
Day TWO. We made it into Saint George in the early evening, just as some of Justins family members scooted out the door to church. A friend of the Justins family allowed us to stay at their vacation home which was big enough to hold ALL of Justin's family.
Needing to cool off and relax, we decided to go hang out around the pool.
Needing to cool off and relax, we decided to go hang out around the pool.
Day THREE. We had a nice and relaxing morning talking with the family. Then Justin, his dad and I went for a little drive. We weren't sure where we were going, but after a quick google map search for "tourist attractions," we ended up in Snow Canyon. Since it was so hot out, we just drove around the area, looking at the pretty rocks. :) I did get out for about 2 minutes to snap these pictures, but it was right back to the air conditioned car.
We met up with the entire family for lunch, including Trevor's soon-to-be-in-laws. :) We did some more relaxing and pool time in the afternoon and then helped decorate the church hall that evening.
Day FOUR. Wedding Day!!!! I wasn't feeling well, so I didn't lug around my nice camera (more on that later), so you'll have to enjoy some iPhone pictures from the wedding festivities. :)
It was so pretty. And we are so happy for Trevor and Ari.
And of course with any vacation we go on, I usually get sick. I started
feeling pain in my throat the day before, but with being out in the heat for wedding pictures I think it all just made it worse. After the ceremony and family luncheon, we went back to the house. While everyone else went for a swim, I went for a nap. An hour later when I woke up, things had gone from worse to really bad. Luckily I woke up right as Justin came into our room. My throat was really hurting, my body ached and I was running a fever. We decided that it was best to take me to an urgent care clinic before the reception. Thankfully it wasn't that busy and we got in and out pretty quickly. Diagnosis: strept throat. Treatment: Antibiotics, fluids and rest. Ya right. We dashed to pick up my med and get home. We quickly changed and made it to the reception fashionably late. Looking back, I can't believe how quickly the day went. :)
Day FIVE. After saying our good-bye's to the family, Justin, Ian, the pups, and I took off for a little site-seeing vacay. Our first stop would be Goblin Valley. How cool is this place?!
We then got into Moab just before dinner and after a quick tour of our amazing rental house {that I forgot to take pictures of} we were out the door to see some arches.
While I had seen pictures of them online, I had no idea the magnitude the giant naturally made rock formations would be. It was an experience I will never forget.
On the first night we went to...
Balanced Rock
The Windows
Turret Arch
We even did some night photography (my favorite!) And yes folks, that is the moon!
Phew! That was a busy day, but the next day was going to be even busier.
Strept throat. Rest....meh. Whatever.
Day SIX. Goal of the day.....stay hydrated. We packed a cooler, some snacks. Got our hiking shoes on and we were ready to go. First on the agenda was the 1.5 mile hike up a mountain to see
the Delicate Arch.
Can you see Justin and I? :)
Totally worth it! :)
Going down the mountain was a breeze and we were all smiles the whole way. Feeling pretty good when were got back to our cars, we decided to do the 4 mile round trip hike out to Double O Arch. Earlier in the morning, Justin warned me of a part during the hike that was along a spine of rocks about 6 feet across that had a sheer drop of about 100-200 feet on either side. Oh joy.
So needless to say, I was less then thrilled for this hike.
And I'll admit it was a difficult one. While I easily conquered the spine with the sheer drops,
I failed to stay hydrated.
Actually, we all did. Shoot.
It was sooooo hot and the hike was really long and trying. But I'm happy that we all survived
and made it to see the Double O Arch.
I quickly snapped this photo with my iPhone while on the spine of rocks.
Justin at the end of the hike. Yay! :)
And these are just some pictures I was able to snap as we drove around.
It was a beautiful place to be and I cannot wait to go back again and spend more time exploring.
And lastly, after a long day of hiking we drove out to Dead Horse Point in the Canyonlands.
Oh! My! Gosh! This place is beyond amazing.
Justin trying to be funny. I was not so amused. :)
As the day set on our crazy trip to southern Utah, we began packing our bags and loaded up our vehicle for the trip home.
And boy was it a LONG trip back to Nebraska the next day!
Having not really followed the directions from the doctor to rest,
I was in bad shape after two long days of hiking.
Thankfully I slept about 15 hours the next day and woke up feeling great.
Our week in Southern Utah went by so quickly, but it is something I will not soon forget.

































1 comment:
I'm sorry you were sick. :( But at least you got to spend some nice time with family, and it looks like you saw some great stuff. Those night photos are awesome!
Post a Comment