At the beginning of the week, I got the idea of making and decorating a cake for Justin's Birthday. All week I thought about what I was going to do. Finally yesterday I went shopping and picked up the tools and ingredients that I would need to complete my plan. I have never decorated a cake other than with frosting and sprinkles to make it pretty. I've watched Cake Boss on TV, so how hard could it be.
While the cake was in the oven, I mixed up the raspberry cream filling and cut up fresh raspberries. I let the cakes then cool, but no long enough. Lesson learned: let the cakes completely cool otherwise your filling and/or frosting will run from the heat. Doesn't that look delicious!?
After I had the cakes "dirty iced," I left them in the fridge over night. This morning I rolled out the fondant and smoothed it out over the cake. Not the best, but again....I'm a beginner.
The design that I decided on was a spider web theme. I thought it would be the easiest for my first attempt at decorating a cake. The frosting bag and tip was a lot easier to use then I thought it would be. It was actually a lot of fun.
I think the web looks amazing. And the spider I'm very proud of too. :)
I love how it turned out and am actually quite impressed (not to toot my own horn. LOL). I can't wait to see what else I'm able to create in the future.So hopefully it tastes as good as it looks. I'll let you know tomorrow when we celebrate Justin's birthday and cut in to it.










1 comment:
The cake looks AWESOME, Mandi! Great job! I have yet to attempt fondant (or fon-DAUNT, as Cake Boss would say). I wish we could taste it with you. Happy birthday, brother of mine!
Post a Comment